Monday, April 24, 2006

The Economist

Was just reading this series of articles on The Economist and thought, naturally enough about TBWJ. Though for a bunch of young tech savvy gentlemen such as yourselves the contents may not be shocking, it is a good bit of writing about the new media.

As long as I am linking to The Economist I think I will advertise a couple of other bits of their content there. Not all of their articles are freely available but enough are to make it well worth a weekly visit in my opinion (and they occasionally give you the option of watching an add in exchange for a day pass).

I thought this one was fairly good with regard to the current position of the Democratic Party. Though I have been intending to post a piece with my opinion as to why both of the parties suck so much and why the American people have become so polarized.

Another sweet Economist link is here. It's the original edition of The Economist from 1843 and an excellent argument in favor of liberal trade policies.

One final link. A quote in the media related Economist article linked above referring to Blogs as "the toilet walls of the internet" reminded me of a site I discovered this week. Ancient Roman graffiti.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Hank, I really liked the Economist article. I think they're on the money. After the dot-com bust in 2000 it became fashionable to be cynical about the internet revolution, but I think the internet (along with technological progress making the creation of audio and video affordable to amateurs) is having a deep and fundamental impact on how people interact with one another. It really is nothing short of a revolution.

And it has been interesting to me in my advanced copyrights course how much people's perspectives on intellectual property vary based on how much they comprehend this change. I find that a great deal of the difference between Lessig and copyright liberals (who are rapidly taking over academia) and the old guard of copyright conservatives (who still have a death grip on the judiciary) is whether they grok the new participatory nature of the internet or are still locked into the big media, broadcast model of content creation.